Friday, February 17, 2006

Getting ready for Kinsey!!!

From Mom-to-be:
Well, we've had two awesome baby showers - one in Ovilla and one in Austin, and we are definitely ready in terms of "need-to-haves". And I'd say we're over-ready in terms of clothes :). I think Kinsey will need to wear several outfits a day to get them all worn before she outgrows them. This picture is from the Ovilla shower - the adorable onesie is courtesy of Dionne McBride (shower hostess with the mostest) and is one of our favorite gifts so far. How cute will she be in this outfit?
As I walk through her nursery and see everything (almost) in it's place, the waiting swing and bouncer in the living room, the empty bassinet by the bed, I feel like our home is prepared for her arrival. And as I walk anywhere, I realize how ready I am physically for her arrival. My swollen feet, devilish heartburn, and shallow breathing tell me that I'm in the last stages of pregnancy, a fact for which I'm so very grateful. Physically, I'm so ready for her to get here. But even more than that, I am so emotionally excited for her arrival into this world. How can I love someone so much that I've never met? Mentally I'm all there - I've got lists for announcements, stuff we still need to buy, we've got plans for getting to the hospital, what to take with us, and a thousand other lists because things are constantly popping into my head to prepare for.
Spritually though, I wonder if I'm even close to ready. All of a sudden I have such a greater responsibility than ever to live a Christ-like life for someone else to model. There's a Phillips, Craig, and Dean song called "I Want to be Just Like You" that I am so convicted by. He's singing to his son "Lord I wanna be just like You, 'cause he wants to be just like me. I wanna be a Holy example for his innocent eyes to see. Help me be a living Bible Lord, that my little boy can read. I wanna be just like You, 'cause he wants to be like me." Such pressure! It can seem overwhelming when I think about the consequences of my choices on her view of life. In so many ways, I know I'm such a crappy example for a child to follow. There's just no way I can be "good enough" to do that on my own.
The last verse of the song goes "Right now from where he stands, I may seem mighty tall. But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all." I like that they use the word "learning" - it's a process and I don't have to know exactly how to do it all now and how to be Christ to her in every situation. I can work day by day to lean on Him so that she will see Him in me. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to need (vs. just want) to do that because I've never been through anything like this physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.
And now I must stop "blogging" and go pack my bag for the hospital. Love to you all.
-Darin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God will bless with you spiritual, emotional and physical strength you never knew you had! Our prayers are with you and we can't wait to see pictures of little Kinsey! Love, Stacey

Keith Ferguson said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, guys! It's about time. :)

Anonymous said...

Darin- You show with your words how Christ is already making you a wonderful Christ like example to your daughter, you are going to be a great Mother!! There is nothing like the feelings you are having right now for this baby is there? It is worth everything she is going to put you through(remember them YOU WILL NEED TO LOOK BACK ON THEM.)Don't listen to Keith you know how he has to show off!
Love ya- Franki

Anonymous said...

Oh Darin, I am really excited for you. You are about to start on one of the greatest adventures of your life. All you need to remember is loving them with all your heart and seek God with all you heart and you can't go wrong. I will be worth it all.

Love ya,
Denise

Anonymous said...

Yeah, so all I can say is don't screw it up ;)

Love you guys and I can't wait to see Kinsey! (and you too of course, but you should start getting used to people forgetting that you exist when your kids are around :) )

Barie Sue said...

Darin - There are many children who only know about what it means to trust God in all things by being told to do that by their parents. We know just from hanging around ya'll for the past two years that Kinsey will not just be taught verbally to trust God, she will see it lived out in action by her mommy and daddy. How blessed she is to have that example from the beginning of her little life. We have seen ya'll take some amazing steps of faith as you have followed God's call on your life. From leaving your brand new house to live in a parsonage all the way to recently packing up and moving (while you were 8 months pregnant! How crazy is that!!?) to a new city, ya'll have modeled to so many around you an active faith life. I say all this to say that I think that spiritually, God has more than equipped you to guide this precious little girl from the moment you first hold her in your arms. And to think that He will only mature you more everyday is truly exciting! We love ya'll and are so blessed by your friendship. (OK, so how mushy am I tonight?) Seriously, I mean it all. See you tomorrow. We'll be the ones sitting on the front row making faces at the really tall guy in the middle of the stage :)